uvex 1 G2 safety shoes wins Red Dot Award: Product Design 2020 and a Red Dot of the new metacategory “innovative approach”
The uvex 1 G2 safety footwear series reached again the podium. The jury of 40 international design experts honored the uvex 1 G2 safety shoes as one of Red Dot Award 2020: Product Design Winners and won in addition won a Red Dot for its good design quality in the new metacategory “Innovative Products”. This means that the uvex 1 G2 and its i-PUREnrj sole technology is one of the winners in the world’s most renowned design competition.
The Red Dot Product Design Award is one of the world’s most important design prizes. In 2020, designers and companies from 60 countries entered more than 6,500 products in the competition. The winning product, uvex 1 G2 safety footwear, has been awarded the second time with an international design award after winning of the iF Design Award 2020. The uvex 1 G2 work shoes and boots are known on the ppe market for their outstanding comfort, high energy return, stability and providing extremely long-lasting wearer comfort. Core feature of the safety footwear series is the unique uvex i-PUREnrj polyurethane-sole technology.
Red Dot CEO Professor Dr. Peter Zec on the laureates
“The winners of the Red Dot Award have proved that they have created excellent products worthy of winning an award. By introducing the new metacategories ‘Smart Products’ and ‘Innovative Products’, we have given revolutionary objects a larger platform in the Red Dot Award. The award-winning products far exceed our expectations, as the award winners are setting new standards in their industry with their designs. I wish to congratulate them most sincerely on their success,” said Professor Dr. Peter Zec, founder and CEO of Red Dot.
The uvex 1 G2 safety shoes won over the 40-member jury, made up of independent experts from all over the world, with its smart design and with the brand-new pioneering and unique polyurethane sole-technology uvex i-PUREnrj. The completely new developed generation of the awarded best-seller safety footwear range uvex 1 defines comfort and wearer acceptance in new dimensions.
The uvex 1 G2 safety shoes
The new line is equipped with the brand-new pioneering and unique polyurethane sole-technology uvex i-PUREnrj. The completely new developed generation of the awarded best-seller safety footwear range uvex 1 defines comfort and wearer acceptance in new dimensions. The range provides perfect cushioning and energy return about the entire sole und reduces significantly the fatigue of the wearer. On basis of a broad scientific research the uvex 1 G2 line is positioned against some similar competitors technologies on the international safety footwear market.
The safety shoe range uvex 1 G2 is available as perforated safety shoe, boot and sandal with protection class S1 SRC and as standard safety shoe and boot with protection class S2 SRC in trend-setting colour combination tomato-red and black. The line is available in width 10 to 12 and 14. The available sizes are 35-52. More versions and other protection classes (S1 P/S3) are under development.
The main part of the new development is the new and unique uvex i-PUREnrj Technology. uvex’s innovative new polyurethane sole technology — uvex i-PUREnrj — returns the landing energy over the entire sole unit back to the wearer and redefines shock absorption and stability. This makes every day full of energy, with noticeably greater comfort and significantly lower fatigue in the feet. The weight has been reduced significantly.
Independent scientific tests with comparable products of competitors and modern running shoes showed impressive results:
- 100% higher energy absorption than that specified by the EN ISO 20345 standard
- 66% energy recovery in the heel*
- 59% energy recovery in the forefoot*
- 29% higher shock absorption than standard polyurethane soles after 1000 km of use*
- 21% less perceived fatigue than with standard polyurethane soles after a working day
*Test Report Nr. L190714889 CTC Lyon, 22.08.2020
Due to its premium position, the uvex 1 G2 offers a lot more features:
- meets the ESD specification with volume resistance under 35 megaohms
- new wider 100% metal-free uvex xenova® safety toe cap for more toe room and optimum fit — compact design, anatomical shape, good lateral stability and no thermal conductivity
- ergonomically designed outsole incorporates the latest biomechanical research, consisting of two layers of uvex i-PUREnrj polyurethane with excellent slip resistance. The tread is particularly suited to industrial floor surfaces
- outstanding wearer comfort thanks to a newly developed last and climate-optimised, breathable materials
- virtually seam-free upper in high-tech micro velour to eliminate pressure points, perforated on the S1 shoe, hydrophobic on the S2 shoe
- removable antistatic comfortable insole with a moisture transport system, additional shock absorption around the heel and forefoot and excellent support for the arch
- soft padding on the tongue (S1 shoe) or dust tongue (S2 shoe) and Collar
- sizes 35 to 40 have been produced using a women’s last
- ultra-lightweight perforated S1 safety shoe and S2 safety shoe
- made from synthetic materials, making it suitable for people allergic to Chrome
- all sole materials are free of silicone, plasticisers and other paint wetting impairment substances
- elastic laces for quick, individual adjustment, normal laces also provided
Areas of application are light applications, like logistics, automotive assembling lines, warehouses.
About the Red Dot Award
In order to appraise the diversity in the field of design in a professional manner, the Red Dot Design Award breaks down into the three disciplines of Red Dot Award: Product Design, Red Dot Award: Brands & Communication Design and Red Dot Award: Design Concept. With more than 18,000 entries, the Red Dot Award is one of the world’s largest design competitions. In 1955, a jury convened for the first time to assess the best designs of the day. In the 1990s, Red Dot CEO Professor Dr. Peter Zec developed the name and brand of the award. Ever since, the sought-after distinction “Red Dot” has been the revered international seal of outstanding design quality. The award winners are presented in the yearbooks, museums and online. More information is available at www.red-dot.de.
The uvex group
The uvex group brings together three globally active companies under one roof: the uvex safety group, the uvex sports group (with uvex sports and Alpina Sports), and the Filtral group (Filtral and Primetta). The uvex group is represented in 22 countries by 48 subsidiaries but chooses to do most of its manufacturing in Germany. Two thirds of the company’s 2,700-strong workforce is employed in Germany. uvex is a global partner to international elite sport and equips a host of top athletes. The motto protecting people is at the heart of the company’s activities. uvex develops, manufactures and distributes products and services for the safety and protection of people at work, in sport and for leisure pursuits.